Saudi Arabia is armed with branded US air defense system which failed to counter a major attack on the world’s largest oil processing plant at Abqaiq. The attack revealed the limits of US-Made air-defense system. Recently Saudi Arabia deployed six Patriot Missile defense battalion what failed to stop this major attack on Saudi infrastructure. Patriot sold as an advanced aerial interceptor missile and high-performance radar systems – but the reality is different.
The Aramco oil sites are around 800 miles from the Saudi Arabia-Yemen border, the US missile defense systems did not detect the launch nor engage the missiles. The cruise missiles used in the attacks were 1970 versions of a Russian missile.
Saudi Arabia currently operates
- Raytheon MIM-104 Patriot Mobile surface-to-air missile/anti-ballistic missile system
- Lockheed Martin AN/FPS-117 long-range phased array, 3-dimensional air search radar.
- Northrop-Grumman AN/TPS-43 portable 3-dimensional tactical air search radar.
- Raytheon Improved HAWK air defense missile system.
- Raytheon MIM-104 Patriot air defense missile system
- Oerlikon Contraves Skyguard 35mm Twin Cannon Short Range air defense system
- Lockheed Martin THAAD anti-ballistic missile defense system
The U.S. and Saudi Arabia both placed blame on Iran for carrying out the attack but the question about Poor US air defense system in Saudi Arabia is in large.